If you have a natural interest for cars, mathematics, mechanics, and electronics, Automobile Engineering is the right branch for you. Automobile Engineering is a branch of vehicle engineering, incorporating elements of mechanical, electrical, electronic, software, and safety engineering as applied to the design, manufacture and operation of motorcycles, automobiles, and trucks and their respective engineering subsystems. It also includes modification of vehicles. Manufacturing domain deals with the creation and assembling the whole parts of automobiles. The study of automotive engineering is to design, develop, fabricate, and test vehicles or vehicle components from the concept stage to production stage. Production, development, and manufacturing are the three major functions in this field.
B.E. Automobile Engineering course additionally offers specialization in alternative fuels, aerodynamics, chassis, emissions, electronics, ergonomics, materials, manufacturing, motorsport, rapid prototyping, vehicle, power train and pedestrian safety or supply chain management. Such postgraduates are hired in capacities such as Sales Officer, Professor, Associate Professor, Sr. Officer/Executive, Automobile Engineer, Embedded Automotive, Software Engineer, Product Development Engineer, Design Engineer etc. A fresh graduate in this field can earn an average salary between INR 2 to 6 lacs in a year. Salary can be increased as per the performance and expertise of the candidates.
Top Companies Offering Job Opportunities to the Automotive Professionals:
- TATA Motors
- Mahindra and Mahindra
- Eicher Motors
- Bajaj Auto Limited
- Maruti Udyog Limited
- Hero Motors
- Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India Pvt. Ltd. (HMSI)
Top Overseas Companies Offering Lucrative Job Offers:
Salary of an Automobile/Automotive Engineer
Salary of an Automotive/Automobile Engineer ranges between INR 64,000 to 2, 00,000 per month depending on the level of experience. Opportunities are also available with big Automotive giants associated vendors like Rane Steer, Bosch, Denso, Magna, Continental, MRF, BKT, Exide, Amaron to name a few.
Top job profiles offered to Automobile Engineers:
- Executive and Managerial Positions
- Driver Instrumentation Engineer
- Senior Production Engineer
- Automobile Designer
- Automotive Sales Engineer
- Dealer Account Manager
- Quality Engineer
- Service Engineer
- Marketing Expert
- Mechanical Design Engineer
- Automotive Developer
- Regional Transport Officer
- Service Advisor and Works Manager in Dealerships
- Automotive Technician
- Service Station owner
Following the Start up India motive, after the completion of the course one can opt for self-financed business, some of the interesting trends in this area include:
- Automobile Showroom or Service centre owner
- Loss Assessor and Surveyor
- On-the-spot Cleaning and maintenance Services
- Machine installation & distribution partner
- Automotive component manufacturing
- Generator Manufacturing and supplier
- Solar product manufacturing and distribution
- Training Institute
- Component Designing
- Business Consultants
- Consultants in car buy/sale
- Accessories vendor and many more
Automobile Engineering: Career Prospects
This field offers extensive variety of opportunities for the candidates and it includes production plants, automobile manufacturing industries, service stations, private transport companies, state road transport corporations, motor vehicle departments, insurance companies etc.With the computer skills and knowledge in CAM (Automation), CAD (Computer Aided design), ERP, Automobile engineers may find job opportunities in computer aided industries as Designers. Automobile Maintenance Engineers are offered the post of general supervision of mechanics in a workshop, factory and garage. B. Tech candidates in automobile engineering with an MBA degree could come to the bleeding edge in marketing management careers.
There are a lot of open doors for the qualified individuals and they can choose a career in automobile industry, which prompts splendid future. Presently, with so many foreign automobile companies such as Audi, Volkswagen, Renault etc focusing on India as a base for manufacturing cars, the extension for a career in automobile industry is rising quickly.
JOB B. Voc. in Automobile Engineering: The top colleges at NCR are coming up with the courses that are Entrepreneurship oriented Skill development courses have been initiated by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), Ministry of HRD, Government of India to promote “Make in India initiative”. These courses will be run by AICTE approved institutes, where apart from technical teaching, trained resources will extensively hand hold students and impart specific skills, making them self-reliant to initiate their own start-ups. Bachelor of Vocation (B. Voc.) is gaining importance as demand for skill based education is the need of the hour. Today’s industry is looking for resources that are ready to deliver from day one of joining.
Vision: The vision of these programmes is to build a strong partnership with the Automobile Industry to facilitate student’s employability and entrepreneurship through the On-the-Job Training (OJT) and promote a spirit of innovation, anticipating the Society’s needs and expectations in the field of Automobile Engineering.
- To provide students the opportunity to enhance their qualification and skill.
- To develop application-based learning that will make students job-ready by earning industry work experience and learning the technical concepts hands-on.
- To train students to take up innovative projects in groups with sustainable and inclusive technology relevant to the industry and social needs.
- To empower students to become skilled and ethical entrepreneurs
- To provide soft skills supporting a particular profession and corresponding technical education.
- To ensure adequate knowledge of Theory, Laboratories & hands-on practical experience.
- To bridge the gap between academia & Industry.
- To integrate NSQF (National Skills Qualifications Framework) to enhance employability of the students and meet industry requirements.
B. Voc. in Automobile Engineering course offers:
- Elements of Automobile, Electrical & Electronic Systems, Non Commercial vehicles, Materials for Automobile.
- I.C. Engines, Transmission systems, Instruments and Equipments, Suspension and Damping Systems, Project
- Commercial vehicles, Automotive component design, Electric Vehicles, Engine Management principles, Universal Human Values & ethics.
- Autotronics, Air conditioning and Heating systems, Quality Management in automobile Industry, Tyre Technology, Environment & Ecology.
- Modern vehicle Technology, Automobile Assembly Principles, Vehicle safety principles, Elements of Noise vibration and Harshness control, Indian Constitution.
- Automobile servicing, Traction and Driving Systems, Essence of Indian Traditional Knowledge, Major Project.
And many more……………
B.Voc. in Automobile Engineering is a 3-year undergraduate program, the eligibility criteria is minimum 45% marks in 10+2 from a reputed board or its equivalent examination.
- Service Technician
- Automobile Designer
- Body Shop In-Charge
- Service Supervisor
- Testing Manager
- Sales Executive
- E-Automotive Specialist
Career opportunities for automobile engineers don’t stop only within India. They can have a successful career in the Automobile industry in western countries like USA, Germany, United Kingdom etc. They can also pursue careers in oriental countries like Japan, Republic of Korea which are giant players in automobile industries. Since the Automobile industry is a huge industry, there is a wide range of opportunities for automobile engineers. The industry is growing in leaps and bounds giving innumerable opportunities of growth to the automobile engineers to grow, and have a bright and successful career ahead.